Identify and discuss scientific challenges that, if addressed in the next 5 8 years, would significantly advance NIAMS mission areas.
Background/Relevance to NIAMS Mission
As a steward of taxpayer dollars, the NIAMS is committed to focusing its programs to ensure the largest possible payoff in terms of the Nation's health. To prepare for this discussion, program directors and guests were invited to submit up to three scientific challenges and describe the science that would be needed to overcome them.
Expected Session Outcomes
NIAMS-specific challenges will be considered in the course of Institute planning and priority-setting activities. Moreover, because other NIH Institutes and Centers are likely to share many of the challenges, the session should better position the Institute to
- Identify opportunities to partner with other NIH components.
- Participate in NIH-wide discussions about research needs.
- Prioritize trans-NIH opportunities related to these challenges.
- What major scientific challenges face the NIAMS community?
- How can the NIAMS help its community overcome them?