The National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases (NIAMS) held its annual Scientific Planning Retreat on March 22-23, 2010. Topics of discussion included chronic low back pain, the emerging role of the microbiome, natural history studies, and oligonucleotide therapeutics. Additionally, participants explored the key gaps and opportunities in comparative effectiveness research related to the NIAMS portfolio. The sessions were designed to help position NIAMS to both assess and respond to future scientific directions. One-page overviews and summary PowerPoint slides of each topic are provided below, and include the key questions that were addressed during each session.
- Oligonucleotide Therapeutics — Backgrounder
- Comparative Effectiveness Research — Backgrounder
- Human Microbiome — Backgrounder
- Natural History Studies — Backgrounder
- Chronic Low Back Pain — Backgrounder